Many of us stay in hotels when we go on vacation or travel for business. For most, hotels offer a place to relax and get away from it all. Nobody expects to suffer a fall while at a hotel, but it does happen.
Many slippery situations can occur at a hotel, especially when inclement weather and pools are involved. Chances are, you won’t end up in the emergency room during your vacation, but if you do happen to suffer a slip and fall, find out what you should do to ensure you receive sufficient compensation for your injuries.
Causes of Slips and Falls at Hotels
A slip and fall at a hotel can occur in several instances:
- Icy parking lots and walkways
- Leaks or faulty plumbing in hotel room
- Slippery conditions near the pool
- Spill from a substance in the hotel gift shop or restaurant
Who is Liable?
Hotels are not always liable for slip and fall accidents. As a victim, you must be able to prove that the hotel caused the dangerous condition to exist. This boils down to two main factors:
- Whether or not the hotel should have known the dangerous condition existed. If a freak hailstorm caused a sidewalk to quickly become slippery and a guest fell, the hotel may not be held liable because the staff did not have enough time to react to the situation. But if a storm happened overnight and the sidewalks were still not cleared by 10 a.m. the next morning, and a guest slipped on ice, the hotel could be held liable.
- The amount of control the hotel had over the situation. Hotels are responsible for the actions of employees, but not the actions of other guests. If an employee spills a liquid on the ground, he or she needs to clean it up in a timely manner so the hotel can avoid liability. However, if a guest empties out an ice chest in the parking lot and a guest slips on a puddle of water a few minutes, the hotel likely will not be held liable unless the mess was not cleaned up until several hours later.
Your Next Steps
After suffering a slip and fall accident, be sure to gather evidence. Get the proper medical attention from hotel staff and have a family member take photos of the area. Note the condition of the area and any warning signs. Get personal information from witnesses and hotel staff who assisted you. Keep all documentation of medical bills.
Be sure to file an accident report with the hotel. Do not say anything that can cause you to be liable and keep you from obtaining the compensation you deserve. Do not even say that you feel fine, just in case you need to seek medical attention at a later date. Stick to the facts and file a personal injury claim with an attorney right away.
Get Legal Help for Your Slip and Fall Injury
Slips and falls are no laughing matter. A fall can cause broken bones, back and neck injuries, and head trauma. You could be suffering from your injuries for months, years or even the rest of your life.
If you have fallen and suffered serious injuries due to a hazardous situation, contact Christensen Law Firm, PLLC. Dan Christensen is a former prosecutor who uses his experience and knowledge to help others. Call him today at (512) 872-4834 to schedule a consultation.